Sunny top vol.2

Today I have not much to say to you…only to show you the result of my “adjusted” Sunny top by Friday Pattern Company. If you haven’t seen my previous post including my review of this pattern, feel free to jump here….

But in the mean time this is the outcome.

Sunny top vol.2

As you can see if has a much better fit all round. I am very pleased that most of my pattern adjustments worked in my favor.

Just to remind you the 3 major adjustments I have done :

-sway back

-sleeve crown

-arm hole

 Looking at the pictures I can see that I could have done bigger sway back adjustments..maybe another 1.5 cm, however it does not bother me as much as with my first try.

I am positively surprised that my experimentation with “dart” movement worked OK. I still do not think this was correct way to do it, but I am happy with the final look.

Sewing on the “new” sleeves was a bit tricky. I had far too much sleeve and had to stretch the arm hole quite a bit while sewing. It looks fine, however next time I will not lengthen the sleeve crown by as much as I did here.


I made a little error…

Making the second version I used different fabric. First top was made from Pone Roma, which did not stretch as much as this jersey fabric. Without thinking I cut out the same length of neck band as previously…and this was my mistake. It probably would be fine, if I have basted around the neck edges to stop it from overstretching…. Lesson learnt!!! Luckily when I wear it the pull lines are not that visible.20180212_141127[1]

I have made longer sleeves this time because found it more comfortable. Decided to hem it with 4 cm seam, hence I can roll the edges a bit for a little different look if I feel like it 🙂





I think it looks pretty with my Cleo dress….More on this little beauty in my next post:)20180212_141634[1]

Have you made Sunny???


Sunny dress/top by Friday Pattern Company


Today I want to share my January make for #sewmystyle2018 challenge, which was a pattern from Friday Pattern Company called Sunny Top/dress.

I have made a top version as I am new to sewing with stretchy fabrics and was not sure about the fit. This pattern has a mixed reviews, hence wasting so much fabric for a dress would be a silly thing to do… I played it safe and opted to try a top first.

I have cut size XXL and made only one adjustments to ensure it fits my petite frame better…..I moved up a waist line by 3 cm.

This is how it turned out.


As you can see it looks pretty good on a mannequin, however on me it does not look as good anymore.

There are many issues with this fit on my figure.

  • Too much fabric on my lower back, which indicate that I need a sway back adjustment.
  • Around bust area there is excess fabric that creates a “dart”.
  • Many drag lines on sleeves, which also are pocking upwards.

Pattern review

I really like how the pattern instructions are presented. It offers you some advice on sewing with knits and gives you a pattern prep check list, which comes very handy. The step-by-step information is very easy to follow and the language used is clear.

What I found a little frustrating is that measurements weren’t attached to the pattern and I had to go on the company website to find it. I like to have it together with a pattern.

Another thing that put me off balance was lack on notches on the pattern pieces. It is not a big problem, as this pattern is fairly straightforward, however for me is easier when I have markings to ensure everything matches nicely.

I have also added a neckband to my top, only because it is more preferred by me. To do that I have measured the length of a front and a back neck seam and calculated 80% of that value, which for me was 28 cm in length, then added 5 cm in width.

I nearly forgot to cut it on fold 🙂


Final thoughts

I do not want to give up on Sunny top just yet. I will make all necessary adjustments in the near future, so can use it again and again as it has a potential of becoming a basic top pattern in my wardrobe. I’ll keep you posted.

~Onto the next make~