Hello, my crafty friends!!!
It is time for a new sewing pattern, so please welcome the Alice bucket bag & backpack! This pattern was named after my dear friend Alice, so it holds a very special place in my heart. I hope you are going to love her as much as I do. Like my friend, she is small but mighty!
The pattern comes with two options: a bucket bag and a backpack. At first glance, Alice bucket bag & backpack look very complex, with many interesting details, but it is easier to make than you think. The most difficult part is sewing a 3D pocket on the front and that is the only reason why I rate this pattern as intermediate.
If you have not practised sewing this type of pocket, it might be tricky at first, but it is doable. Alternatively, you can omit sewing the pocket for a more simple look.
If you follow me on social media, you might have heard that I was planning to include an option to add piping to this project. In my opinion, piping is like a cherry on top of a cake. A detail that you didn’t know was needed till you tried it! I love using contrasting piping to elevate the style of my bag/ backpack and emphasize the curves!
With its cute and stylish design, Alice is perfect for everyday use.
Alice bucket bag & backpack features a 3D zipper pocket on the front with built-in card slot pockets, ideal to store smaller items like tissues, mints, or lipstick.
Drawstring closure and stopper with grommets/eyelets at the top edge allow you to open the bag/backpack easily, giving you full access to the interior. The main compartment is fully lined and can hold a small notebook, wallet, phone, and umbrella. It features a large slip pocket, which can be divided into two or more compartments, so you can keep your belongings organized and a connector with a swivel hook for your keys.
The backpack version also includes a flap with a magnetic snap closure and a handle on the back.
Both, the Alice bucket bag and Alice backpack have adjustable shoulder straps and a firm bottom with an option to add bag feet or decorative piping.
Height / Width
- 60 cm / 145 cm (24” / 57”) External fabric: upholstery canvas, waxed cotton, cork, vinyl
- 2.5 cm / 48 cm (1”/ 18 7/8”) Non-fraying fabric: vinyl, faux leather, cork etc.
- 50 cm / 145 cm (19 3/4” / 57”) Lining fabric: quilting cotton, waterproof canvas etc.
- 45 cm / 45 cm (17 3/4” / 17 3/4”) Stabilizer: By Annie’s Soft and Stable, Pellon Peltex, Bosal In-R-Form, Decovil heavy etc.
- 20 cm /20 cm (8” / 8”) Decovil light
- 50 cm / 90 cm (19 3/4” / 35 1/2”) Fusible fleece (optional): Vilene H640, HeatNBond etc.
- 145 cm / 90 cm (57” / 35 1/2”) Woven interfacing: Pellon SF101, Wovenfuse, G700 etc.
- Ready-made piping (optional) x 1.8 m (2 yds.)
- Drawstring cord/rope (optional) x 90 cm (1 yd.)
- Stay tape (optional)
- Bag feet (optional) x 5
- Magnetic snap x 1 (backpack version)
- 10 mm (3/8”) or 12 mm (1/2”) Eyelets/Grommets x 12 (the outer edge shouldn’t be wider than 2.5 cm (1”))
- (3/4”) D-ring x 2
- 18 mm (3/4”) Swivel hook x 1 (backpack version), x 3 (bag version)
- 18 mm (3/4”) Strap adjuster x 2 (backpack version), x 1 (bag version)
- #5 Zipper 26 cm (10 1/4”) x 1 (Zippers must be measured between the zipper pull and the zipper stop. When using a continuous zipper cut it 28 cm (11”) long.)
- Rivets (optional)
- Double-sided tape
- Multi-surface glue, fray check glue, edge kote (optional)
Finished measurements: Height / Width / Depth
25 cm / 21 cm / 14 cm (9 7/8” / 8 1/4” / 5 1/2”)
Skill level: Intermediate
I’ve created a detailed video tutorial for this pattern, so you can watch alongside the pattern instructions, or just to find out if this is the right sewing project for you.
The Alice bucket bag & backpack pattern is available in the shop now. The pattern is on sale for the first 48 hours, so make sure to get your copy!
Show me your love by sharing your creations in Allsewpetite – makers group on Facebook or tag me @allsewpetite on Instagram and Facebook!
In the meantime have a look at all creations that my pattern testers made. They are absolutely beautiful!